We were invited to speak at a gathering of young adults and youth leaders of Philippine Bethel Churches on November 23, 2019. Approximately 36 joined. We addressed active listening, basic therapeutic counseling, and some specific topics— anxiety, suicide, depression, and abuse. Despite the heaviness of these topics, we had a great time and appreciate the interest and hospitality of our hosts.
We are in a bit of a lull right now. There may be a CPE group starting August 17, but that is uncertain (depending on whether some can really join who have expressed interest).
Of more certainty are the following:
- September 14. Basic Christian Counseling seminar will be led by Chaplain Vo Canoy in San Jacinto, Pangasinan.
- September 16. We plan to begin a CPE Intensive program. It will be based at Pines Doctors Hospital in Baguio.
- October. We expect to start CPO as part of the 2nd semester at Philippine Baptist Theological Seminary. More info to follow.
- Late October. Hoping hold IPR (Inter-Personal Relations) training led by Dr. Cal Sodoy. Again, more info to follow.
May 17. CPE Commissioning (for Summer CPE 2019). Dr. Simplicio Dang-Awan Jr. will be our guest speaker.
June 10. This is the week of the start of the next batch of CPE as well as CPO
Below are a couple of pictures from Drug Awareness seminar led by Chaplain Celia for youth at South Sanitary Camp Barangay on May 12.
We held Church Confict Resolution Training
at ABCM, a church ministry here in Baguio with several daughter ministries throughout Northern Luzon.
Bob and Celia Munson led the training, assisted by two trainees of Bukal Life Care (Amm and Chara). It was held on Good Friday (April 19, 2019) with approximately 50 to 60 attending. We do different activities depending on the size, needs, and duration available. We had three hours available, so we did the following:
- The Blame Game (large group activity)
- Conflict Management Types and Discussion (quiz)
- Stages of Church Conflict (lecture)
- Hurtful and Healing Words (a game)
- Intentional Dialogue— Behavior Change (small group activity)
We are thankful to our friends at ABCM for inviting us. We had a great time.
Training was held by our team (Bob and Celia, Lyn, Fhey, and Daniel) with LUBCA at First Baptist Church, San Fernando, La Union.
The training involved a conflict-related team-building exercise, followed by a simple test regarding conflict management styles. The following is the presentation we used.
- We recently hosted a certification board of CPSP-Philippines. On July 28, we had several reviewed. Three were three granted certification for Clinical Chaplaincy: Ptr. Janice Serafica, Ptr. Renato Eustaquio, and Dr. Merlita Montecastro. Additionally one was granted Associate Clinical Chaplaincy: Daniel Spaeth.
- We are considering having a new half unit of CPE starting on August 20. However, we are seeking to verify that we have enough trainees. If you are interested, please email us at email@example.com. Otherwise, our next course is in October. This will be a full unit extended.
- August 27 we will be holding a short seminar in San Fernando, La Union on Conflict resolution.
- CPE Transition. Our Summer group of 16 trainees completed their CPE units— some in the last week of May er and some in the first week of June. A new group of 15 trainees (with Supervisor Celia, and SITs Vo and Edgar) started on June 15. Most of the trainees are associated with either PBTS (Philippine Baptist Theological Seminary) or LTS (Lutheran Theological Seminary). Most are either doing a half-unit intensive, or a full-unit extended.
- This June starts a first with us. We are in partnership with Philippine Baptist Theological Seminary (PBTS) in establishing a new course of study. PBTS ow has two new degrees: Master of Divinity in Pastoral Care, and Master of Arts in Pastoral Care (M.Div-PC and MA-PC). Both are integrated with our CPE program. We are excited to see how things go. More info is available at https://pbts.net.ph/index.php/2018/05/15/pastoral-care-degrees-at-philippine-baptist-theological-seminary/
- On June 17, Bob and Celia went to BIBAK Bible Church to hold a Conflict Resolution seminar for Youth and Young Adult leaders from various local churches. We are thankful to our hosts for their hospitality and we pray that they found value in the activity.
One of our CPE Supervisors-in-Training, and staff member, Chaplain Violeta Canoy will be in Ghana and will be leading a seminar in Clinical Pastoral Counseling. Our prayers are with her and her husband, and we are looking forward to hearing a good report of that event.