July is a busy month again. Here are a few things going on:
-July 5-6. NOVA training with Dr. Clark’s Crisis Counseling Class at PBTS
-July 9. Parenting and 5 Love Language Training at IHMS, La Trinidad
-Late July. Training in Ecumenism and Crisis Response with BBEG (date TBD)
Clinical Pastoral Education:
-CPE Batch 2 is still on-going
-August 6. CPE Batch 3 starts
-July 5-8. Shekinah Home Orphanage, Dingras, Ilocos Norte
-July 10. Children’s Program at Irisan Dumpsite
-July 12-13. Special Needs Project with DSWD, Dagupan, Pangasinan
Fund-Raising Dinner and Concert, Baguio City, September 4 at Philippine Baptist Theological Seminary More info to follow.
Busy times busy times. We are in week 3 of CPE intensive. Things are going well, but a bit crazy. But here are some upcoming items.
A. May 7. Minimedical mission in Irisan, Baguio City
B. May 9-12. Training with teachers at Calvary Baptist Elementary School and CPE students. Topics in working with children of special needs, learning styles, and teambuilding.
C. May 9-13. Vacation Bible School for Special Needs Children.
D. May 14. Counseling Symposium, Baguio City. Details to follow.
E. May 28. Last day of CPE. Graduation.
F. August and September. The newest batch of CPE.
We are taking a bit of a Christmas Break, but things start up again strong in January. Here are a FEW of things going on during the month.
1. January 4th (all day) . “Shepherd in Every Classroom” training being held for teachers at Union School International, in Baguio City, Philippines.
2. January 6, 10am – 12pm. Proctor Training for those who want to volunteer with us in overseeing IQ and personality testing.
3. January 10-14. Psychometric testing at Immaculate Heart of Mary School in La Trinidad, Benguet.
Maybe because of all the training seminars, testing, and projects, we get asked if we do counseling. YES! We do free individual and group counseling, as well as referrals in the Baguio area. Contact us if you need help.
We have had a number of people asking about medical missions. We appreciate the interest, but we have not been able to be too helpful. The reason is that we are taking a bit of a break from medical missions. Part of this is because we have had a horribly hectic April and May… so we are trying to get a bit of rest. So what has happened up to this point? Here are a few things (January – May):
1. Had several medical missions. These include
Saplad-David, Macabebe. 200 treated
Pulo, Macabebe. 160 treated
Street Children, Baguio 50 treated (provided supplies)
Gaswiling, Kapangan 250 treated
2. Had a lot of training.
Basic 1st Aid/CPR (with Phil Red Cross) 20 trained
2 from our team atteneded Haggai Institute NTS
Crisis Chaplaincy 2 week program 5 trained
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) 9 week 11 trained
Crisis Symposium at University of Cordilleras 34 trained
CPE Symposium 40 trained
COMDEV 3 day training 19 trained
First Aid for STMers 40 trained
3. Additional activities
Film showing at National Police Academy, Baguio 200 attended
Helped with VVM film showing in Gaswiling 150 attended
Co-sponsored blood-drive 30 gave blood
So what is going on in June?
a. Bob is in the United States for a few weeks visiting friends, relatives, and churches.
b. Ptr. Joel, Celia and others are pushing through with paperwork with SEC and PRC for the counseling center which should be formally opening in just a few weeks.
c. Dave is finishing a summer program with youth in Guisad, Baguio City.
d. The Co-op is preparing for its membership orientation.
As we enter July, we hope to be up and running with the counseling center… and we hope to be back to scheduling medical missions and training seminars. Hope this information is of help. If you have any questions, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Added “8 Components of Christian Community Development” powerpoint to Training Aids (at http://www.bukallife.org).
2. Traveling to Gaswiling, Kapangan tomorrow for medical mission and film-showing.
3. Preparing for two symposiums in Baguio on Disaster Relief Counseling. These are on April 24 (University of the Cordilleras) and May 1 (Calvary Baptist Church). The 2 week training course in the same subject is about to finish its first week. Chaplain Charlie Benton our lead trainer is very busy working with the class and with the CPE group (also on-going).
4. Also preparing for COMDEV training class on April 20-22. The training will be held in Baguio City. Most of the trainees are from Cavite. Should be a great and educational time.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Cel and Grace just returned from Pampanga verifying for medical missions on April 10 and 11, and checking out another potential site. Bob met with Ptr. Sam and worked out arrangements for Gaswiling trip on April 24 and the COMDEV training following. However, we will delay the Baguionas trip until some more logistics are worked out.
CPE training started today (Monday the 29th). Disaster Response Counseling (2-week program) starts on the 13th as part of the PBTS Summer Institute Program.
Added the Newsletter (our first). Check it out
Added article on Community Development in the Phils.
Added “Discipling Others to Love Jesus” (still improving)
Lot of photos on the “Bukal Life Ministries” Facebook.